The weekend is over and it’s time to snap back to reality… This smoothie, supercharged with naturally energising ingredients which combined, give an amazingly indulgent taste, will disappear, just like a great weekend, in the blink of an eye. It’s that delish.
A superfood you should definitely get to know is maca powder. Maca is a root vegetable which has been grown for over 2,500 years in the high altitude Andes of Peru. It is actually the highest altitude crop on earth (fact of the day!). Maca looks like a radish, but is actually a cruciferous plant (like broccoli and kale). It is a nutritional powerhouse which assists in stabilising stress levels, improving fertility, increasing libido, improving memory, boosting our immune system and increasing energy levels. So much goodness!
Maca is generally found in its powdered form in healthfood stores though capsules are also available. Maca has a caramel-y, vanilla-y, malty, and somewhat sweet taste, though it can be intense and overpowering in large amounts. I find it easiest to consume whirled into yogurt topped with granola or wizzed into smoothies.
Try incorporating a little bit of maca into your diet daily for glowing health!
Banana, almond, maca & chia smoothie
1/2 frozen (or fresh) banana
3/4C almond milk
1/4 vanilla bean (or 1/2tsp vanilla extract)
1/2TB maca powder
1/2TB chia seeds
3 khalas dates (1 medjool)
few ice cubes
1/2TB almond butter
Bee pollen, cinnamon, nutmeg
1. Place all ingredients into blender and process until smooth.
2. Pour into glasses and sprinkle with bee pollen, cinnamon and nutmeg.
1. If your dates are not moist, soak in warm water for 5mins before blending.
2. Play with the flavours – substitute almond milk for cashew, rice, soy or even dairy, and swap almond butter for another nut butter (peanut butter is delicious…).
3. Adjust the maca powder amount (use more or less according to your tastebuds).
4. Add some protein powder (eg. hemp powder) for increased goodness.