There are blue skies in Paris. BLUE SKIES!!! Growing up in Perth, I took sun, blue skies, the beach, and outdoor sports for granted. Like it was perfectly normal to do school sports class 3x per week…. at the beach. And eat dinner outdoors 90% of the time. Like so many others from Perth, I couldn’t wait to escape and explore the rest of this big bad world. Now, having “escaped”, I realise that all these delightful things were not normal (fact: Perth is the sunniest capital city in the world). Other cities don’t have the same number of sunny days and others are, shock horror, INLAND. Now I appreciate Perth and all it offers, and when I go back to visit, I feel like it’s a tropical island paradise.
Paris, despite its beauty and energy, is mostly grey. No question about it. But when its a clear sunny day, with blue skies, and the flowers start to appear and trees begin to get some colour, it really is one of the most beautiful places on earth. And on days like that, it definitely inspires me to cook fresh and spring inviting meals which can be enjoyed outside.
You may recall the “Spaghetti n’ Cheese” post from a couple of months back. This recipe draws inspiration from both the “pasta” and the “cheese” of the original. It is adapted to be “raw” (if you choose not to include the salmon and egg) and is equally (with the removal of the latter two) appropriate for vegans. It is a light and easy to prepare meal bursting with colour, and embracing spring ingredients, nudging the sun to come our way (and stay…!)
Zucchini pasta with coriander pesto
1/3C nutritional yeast
1 small chilli
1 garlic clove
1 lemon (juiced + 1/2tsp rind)
1 1/2C packed baby spinach leaves
1 bunch coriander (about 1 1/2C)
1-2TB extra virgin olive oil
1/2C fresh peas (frozen ok)
salt and pepper
1. Wash zucchinis and use a seregated peeler to make zucchini “spaghetti”. You can pick one up at your local Asian grocer. I use “Kiwi” brand. If you don’t have one, use an ordinary potato peeler to make thin ribbons.
2. Place all “cheese” topping ingredients in blender and pulse until pinenuts are just broken. Place into small bowl or container (there may well be leftover topping).
3. Without washing the blender,place all pesto ingredients in blender and pulse until smooth.
4. Boil half a pot of water with salt and vinegar. Crack the eggs into 2 separate ramekins. Once the water is boiling, lower heat, create a slow whirlpool and drop in the eggs one by one. Cook for 2mins.
5. To serve, twirl zucchini onto plates and top with pesto, fresh peas, sliced avocao, “cheese” topping, smoked salmon and poached egg. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
1. Vegetarian / vegan / raw diet followers: pass on the salmon and eggs as desired.
2. Feel free to add real cheese to the mix, eg. feta, chevre, parmesan…
3. Substitute zucchini pasta for wholegrain (or gluten-free) pasta as desired.
4. If you prefer blanched peas, simply pop them in the microwave (or boiling water) for 2mins.