Now that summer is well and truly upon us, most have taken or are about to take summer vacations. For us this year it was a long road trip to Italy so that our puppy, Mishka, could come along with us. Actually I really love road trips. There’s something peaceful about being on the open road (even though it’s really not as open in Europe as in Australia…). What I don’t like, are the food options (or rather lack of) when on the road. There’s nothing worse than stopping at a fuel station with its adjoining cafe and having to choose between a plastic packaged sandwiches or plastic packaged baguettes. Don’t even get me started on what’s in them…
This time therefore we were prepared. Fresh fruit and water plus some snacks in cool bags to keep us going on the way. These little deviled eggs were initially an experiment for our 14 July bash. An experiment which turned out to be a hit. And I can tell you that on our road trip, they were an even bigger hit!!
12 large free-range organic eggs
1/3C + 1/4C soy sauce
1/3C sweet soy sauce
1C + 1/4C water
2TB rice vinegar
1TB brown sugar
1TB fresh grated ginger
3/4C toasted sesame oil
1/4C grapeseed oil
1 free-range organic egg
1TB white vinegar
pinch of fine-grain sea salt
bunch of chives
handful of shrimp crackers
1/3C sesame mayonnaise (more/less)
4cm piece fresh ginger, minced
1. Place the eggs into a large saucepan and cover with cool water. Cover with lid and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove lid and lower heat. Stir eggs gently every 2mins for about 12mins, this will help to move the yolks to the middle of the eggs. Remove from heat, drain, and cover with cold water. Let cool before gently peeling off the shells.
1. Place all ingredients into a container which will fit all 12 eggs snugly (or divide between 2 containers). Pop the marinade into the microwave for 2mins and mix well so that sugar is dissolved.
2. Place eggs into marinade and refrigerate for about 24hrs.
1. Place egg, salt and vinegar into an immersion blender (hand blender) container. Add oils on top.
2. Put immersion blender into the bottom of the container and start blending the bottom ingredients. Sloowwwwlllllyyyy bring up the blender a little at a time to very gently bring in the oil. You want to introduce it about 1TB at a time so go easy. Once you’ve mixed in the first 1/2 of the oil, the mayo should be stabilized and you can fear not for the remainder!
3. Scoop into a clean jar and store in fridge until required.
Putting it all together
1. Remove eggs gently and drain on paper towel. You can keep the marinade for another use (within 2 weeks).
2. Gently slice each egg in half length ways, cleaning knife of yolk between each egg.
3. Arrange eggs on platter and squirt on the sesame mayonnaise (I use about 1-2tsp per egg half).
4. Sprinkle over with chopped chives, minced ginger and crushed shrimp crackers (about 1/4tsp chives, 1/2tsp ginger, 1tsp shrimp crackers per egg half). If you are prepreparing this, leave the shrink crackers out til serving time as they will lose their crunch. ENJOY!!!
– If you dont like shrimp crackers, you can sub for puffed rice.
– If you don’t want a strong sesame flavoured mayonnaise, change the proportions to 2/3C toasted sesame oil and 1/3C grapeseed oil.
– I’ve marinated my eggs for more than, and less than, 24hrs and nothing disastrous happened. The longer they marinate, the stronger the flavour and colour.