A quick little deviation from the recent Italian inspired posts: miso glazed aubergine (or eggplant). Whatever you want to call it, it’s smooth, it’s creamy, it’s easy and it’s delicious. A perfectly roasted and creamy aubergine with a miso caramelised crust. Perfect as a starter or as an accompaniment to a soy/ginger/sesame salmon/tofu/chicken. An easy mid-week keeper!
Miso glazed aubergine
Makes 4 halves
2 small aubergines
1/2tsp sesame oil
2TB caster sugar (or coconut sugar)
1TB shiro miso paste (white miso)
spring onion and chilli (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 220C fan-forced.
2. Cut aubergines lengthways and then score the flesh, taking care not to pierce the skin. Brush with sesame oil and place face-down on a sheet of grease-proof paper and bake for around 15-20mins. They are ready when they start to shrivel and are soft to the soft.
3. While the aubergines bake, combine the sake and mirin in a small saucepan and cook simmer fir about 2-3mins. Add the sugar and miso and stir until dissolved and smooth.
4. Divide the marinade amongst the 4 halves of aubergine, brushing it into the scored flesh. Place aubergines back in oven, glaze side up and roast for about 3-5mins watching carefully not to burn. The aubergines are ready when the miso starts to bubble and caramelise.
5. Sprinkle with chopped spring onion and/or chilli and enjoy!!