I admit, some nights I come home after a long day at work and all I want to do is sit on the couch watching trashy TV which kills what remaining brain cells may still be functioning. On such evenings, I want food in my belly ASAP. A no-brainer, quick fix, nourishing meal that will warm my otherwise crushed soul (you know those days…).
Given it is now well and truly cold and grey here in Paris, soup is regularly my go-to / quick fix / mid-week dish of choice. This broccoli soup takes no time to prepare, is light and healthy and, most importantly, delicious. Try it and warm your soul!
Express broccoli soup
1 brown onion
3 garlic cloves
1TB rice bran oil
3TB plain flour
1L chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 head of broccoli (500g)
splash of cream to serve (optional)
1. Chop onion and crush garlic cloves. Place in a small pot with rice bran oil and caramalise over low heat, adding water to ensure it does not burn. Once caramalised, gradually add flour and cook for a further 3-5mins.
2. Meanwhile, wash broccoli and separate the florets.
3. Gradually add stock to onion/garlic/flour pot stirring constantly to ensure it is not lumpy. Add broccoli, nutmeg and pepper. Simmer over low heat until broccoli is cooked (about 10-15mins).
4. Remove pot from heat and blend until smooth in a heat-proof, or hand-held, blender.
5. Serve with homemade croutons or crusty bread and grated pecorino. Add a splash of cream if desired.